You may have already mastered some of these, so hopefully other tips on this list inspire you.
Sustainable Home Office
- Keep things digital whenever possible.
- Get in the habit of reviewing digital documents on-screen, rather than printing them out.
- Always, turn off your computer after your finish working.
- Unplug workstation from ports overnight.
- Always use double-sided printing where possible.
Sustainable kitchen Ideas from the Minimalist Vegan
- Limit the use of hot water when hand washing dishes.
- Use cloths instead of paper towels.
- Make your own coffee instead of buying takeaway ( Note by us: Another way to save $ but feel free to support your neighbourhood cafes once in a while).
- Use coffee filters that are made of recycled paper.
- Ditch your bin liner or use newspaper instead.
- Start composting (May be easier if you live in a city like Montreal with a composting program. If not, you can still do it at home)
- If you have a dishwasher, use it instead of handwashing.
- Try making homemade cleaners.
- Reduce your food waste.
- Invest in a pressure cooker and reduce your cooking time and energy.
Sustainable Home Ideas
- Opt for LED Light bulbs.
- Install solar panels and a solar battery if possible (ie: if you own your place). Here are some of the advantages:
- Provides Clean, Renewable Energy (Solar power is a 100% clean, renewable energy source).
- Gives You Freedom and Control Over Electricity
- You May Save on Your Current Utility Bill. If you don’t own your home, look into switching where your energy comes from with your electricity service provider if that is possible (While this depends on where you live, some traditional utilities are creating green tariff options to meet customer demand for renewable energy).
- Seal of your windows and/or replace them with more efficient windows.
- Add insulation to your home.
- Unplug your devices to prevent phantom electricity from being consumed.
- Wash your clothes in cold water.
- Hang your clothes to dry on the line if possible (In most places in the world, line-drying laundry is normal.)
Do you have more tips to share? if yes, share them in the comments below!